Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I'M DREAMING OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS

I love the holidays. I'm even giddy about "Silver Bells" and any Christmas song sung by Bing Crosby. When the kids were little, I taught them to sing Bing's song,"Melenkilinkilaka". It drove Lance bananas. Just think of it, Christmas is just one big Broadway musical for an entire month! People, even strangers, are friendly and smiling and humming show tunes for the annual show called "Christmas".

I know I've been a Christmas nut from at least age 3. My mom and dad dressed their three girls up and took us two hours away to Oklahoma City to see Santa Claus. My mom said that I had on a beautiful navy velveteen coat, white stockings and black Mary Jane shoes and the minute I saw Santa for the very first time, I ... I...I...wet my pants. I'm still that excited, minus the damp britches. In December, I get up earlier than usual, I hum in the grocery store; in general, I'm in a good mood. And it's not for the anticipation of a potential present, because I really don't even care what I get. I must be somewhat altruistic because I want to believe in True Happiness, in Goodwill Toward Men, in Peace on Earth, in Not Gaining Weight Over The Holidays.

But whether it's a country full of people sharing my show tune obsession or that every year Christmas is the time I feel Hope envelope me, I just want to once again believe that people are good and life is good.

So until next post...I'm dreaming of a white Christmas (even in the South where it rarely snows...)

5 comments:

lj said...

Comment

WHATAHOOT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WHATAHOOT said...

Are you speaking of "Melikalikimaka"? My mama has been singing that one with us since we were very small. Being an army brat, she traveled all over, landing for some time in Hawaii where her grandfather was the chief of police in Honolulu. Her name is Leilani...imagine that! LOL! Anyway....I now sing it to my children, as well.
What a magical time of year this is! As you grow spiritually, that magic turns into awe and wonder of how good our God truly is! The birth of our Savior....WOW....this is truly a time for us to give praise to our AWESOME GOD! Thank you, Lord, for the best CHRISTmas present of all...THE GIFT OF YOUR SON, JESUS CHRIST!!!!

10:02 PM

Gene said...

You seemed jealous last night that I posted comments on other people's blogs but not on yours. So here is my comment. :)

Gene said...

Hey Mama,

I keep coming over here to see if Mama Chick is still speaking but she's not. Cat got your fingers?