Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Don't Walk


There are rule followers and rule breakers. I look like and sometimes act like a rule breaker, but I'm actually a rule follower. When the traffic light blinks,
Don't walk...Don't walk...Don't walk; I don't. Even if there's no traffic. I act like it's one of the 10 Commandments. Keep off the grass; express lane--10 items or less; one coupon per customer; kids meals for 12 and under...


Well, last week I started out following a rule and then...

I'm working on a project for or chicks women's retreat. One of the items to giveaway is a black/white marbled composition notebook. It will be cover with a cute "chicks" material. But first, I needed to get the notebooks so we could make the covers...160 of them. Usually, the books cost around $1.50-1.99 a piece, but since this was back to school time, they were on sale for 50 cents. How could I pass up this bargain? The problem was that the ad said that the limit was 10 per customer. They had a rule: Limit 10 per customer.

Day 1
The first day I went to KMart and got ten notebooks (the legal limit); I took them to the car. Then I went back in and bought ten more notebooks and checked out through the garden entrance; I took those to the car. I went back in and got ten notebooks and checked out with a different cashier; I took those to the car, but then I got nervous and thought that the notebook police were watching me so I went home with thirty notebooks.

Day 2
Eckerd's also had theirs on sale. I went to the Eckerd's in North Augusta and bought all they had--37 notebooks.

Day 3

I went to Eckerd's in Augusta. I bought all they had--3.

Day 4

I went to K-Mart in Augusta. I was back to the ten limit rule. I went in the front door, bought 10 notebooks and took them to the car. I went back in and bought 10 more notebooks and checked out with another cashier; I took those to the car. It was hot that day and it felt like a battle so I decided to throw caution to the wind and just load up the cart with the number of notebooks I still needed, face possibly going to "over the limit notebook" jail. I wheeled up a cartload of the composition books and held my breath. The cashier didn't even balk, question, or call on the intercom for help. He just totaled my bill, swiped my card and let me go. He didn't even care about the limit. I had spent four days working on covert operations. I had lost sleep about if I'd be able to get all the books I needed. I could have just bought them all the first day without any antics. But then, that wouldn't be a good story unless, of course, I was returning to my car and walked while the Don't Walk sign was flashing.

Until next post or something else wacky happens.

mamachick

No comments: