Wednesday, October 18, 2006

MAKE A WISH

As with most women, there are body parts that make me crazy. I could just list them in alphabetical order, but instead have decided to focus on just two. My hair and my eyelashes make drive me nuts. Before I had leukemia and chemo, I had such long and luscious hair and lashes. But after the zap of intensive chemo, I emerged first as bald as our national symbol of the bald eagle (except the eagle just has his hair slicked back). After my hair and lashes grew back in, I assumed that I'd get the beautiful curly hair that people talked about. However, my chemotherapy was the kind that kills off some of the hair follicles so I emerged with about half as much hair as I began in my life. So throughout the years since cancer, I've tried all kinds of remedies to strengthen and add volume and fullness to my hair. I've changed colors like a small child coloring a rainbow on a piece of paper.

On my weekly trip to Target, I finally decided to buy some false eyelashes. Since I didn't know where to find them, I quietly whispered to a red-shirted clerk. She said very loudly, FAKE EYELASHES? WE HAVE SOME FAKE EYELASHES ON 26B AND SOME FAKE EYELASHES ON THE END CAP. That was not the incognito way I had planned.

When I went to 26B I had so many options to choose from. There are black flutter, black spiky, black and silver glittery and something that looked like black fur or a Groucho Marx mustache. There are complete eyelash sets and then a whole set of individual lashes. After perusing for several minutes, I picked up black basic and a few individuals. I also got some eyelash glue and an eyelash wand to help me put them on.

Last night, before my kids came to eat dinner, I thought I'd try them on. Oh, my goodness, that's when I realized that I needed to actually see to put them on. I was trying to look through my bi-focals and position the lashes close to my own lash line without the glue showing plus add a few single lashes for thickness.

When my kids got here, one said, "Hey, mom, you've got an eyelash on your shirt...Make a wish! Throughout the night, I kept hearing that phrase because sooner or later, most of the eyelashes fell off.

So if you need a wish for something today, please make one on my eyelash. They are still falling like the leaves on the trees outside.

Until next post,

MamaChick

No comments: