Tuesday, May 22, 2007

IN MY OWN LITTLE CORNER—Occasional Devotional


When I was little, I loved singing the song from Cinderella (not the animated version) called, “In My Own Little Corner”. It went like this:

“In my own little corner in my own little chair, I can be whatever I want to be.”

Lately, I think I’ve been in my “own little corner” a bit too much. Last week, I flew to New Mexico to visit my sisters. I love flying because I get to see God’s landscape, the patchwork of his land. Going from East to West I see, the lush landscape of trees and green go to the barren land of desert.

Flying also helps me remember that God is so much bigger than my own little corner. While I try to have it all together here, I go to New Mexico and I realize that other people do things differently. For instance, I ate more Mexican food I one week than I will eat in North Augusta in a month. We ate quesadillas for breakfast (their version of cheese toast), tacos for lunch (their version of a sandwich) and enchiladas for supper (their version of hash and rice).

I noticed that most of the clothes were the colors of the earth. I stood out as an “outsider” the day I wore a bright red polka-dotted blouse. The inside of the houses were muted like the big sunsets. The lawns were not lush but either dirt or rocks.

At first, I felt a bit out of place like I had just landed from the Mother Ship of The South. But I realized that God’s world is big and his brush strokes of landscape have different looks. I saw God’s handiwork in the big, big blue sky, in the snow-capped mountains, in the mesa and bluffs.

I’m glad I got out of my “own little corner” to see more of Him. This seems to coincide with what TrueNorth is doing at the same time by going across the river to fish in a new pond of God’s people. I pray as we journey toward this venture that we can all see more of who God is.

Until next time,
Mama Chick

No comments: